Before Surgery Info
Before Your Surgery
At The Garramone Center, Dr. Garramone performs the GenSculpt® FTM Top Surgery® Procedure for patients who identify as transgender female to male, gender neutral, gender variant, lesbian, pangender. We just require a recommendation letter from your physician or therapist. You may find a link to a standardized form for recommendation at the bottom of this page.
Before scheduling a surgery with Dr. Garramone, there are several things that must be done. We have listed the steps below to help you organize and plan your surgery inquiry as follows:
- First, setup a complimentary no-cost phone consult for the GenSculpt® FTM Top Surgery® Procedure with Dr. Garramone by contacting our office at (954)752-7842 or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Second, after you have setup your phone consult for the GenSculpt® FTM Top Surgery® Procedure, we will tell you the email address for you to send photos of your chest. You will be required to send photos from the front of your body. Only send photos if you are over 18 years of age (DO NOT SEND PHOTOS IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE). Make sure your photo files sizes are less than 500kb.
- Third, Dr. Garramone will contact you by telephone on your scheduled appointment date (if you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, you are required to call us on your scheduled appointment date, we will not make international calls to you).
- Fourth, after your phone consultation, Dr. Garramone will discuss the treatment options that you are a candidate for with the GenSculpt® FTM Top Surgery® Procedure. At this time he will let you speak with our office staff and you may schedule a surgical date.
- After scheduling your surgical date, our office will email you a pre-operative packet containing useful information and our Financial Policy. You are required to send back to us a signed copy of the Financial Policy and a copy of a Government issued Photo Identification or Passport. A Birth Certificate copy may be necessary.
- When you have scheduled your surgery with the non-refundable reservation fee, we will then send you prescriptions for necessary lab work and medical clearance for surgery. You are required to have this done within 30 days of the date of your scheduled surgery.
- We will need a signed copy of the Letter of Recommendation for Transgender Surgery from your therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or Primary Care Physician. The letter must state “Transgender Surgery is the next step in the transition process.”
- Final payment is due four weeks prior to surgery. We accept all major credit cards, certain medical loan payments, or cash. We do not accept Personal Checks or medical insurance.
- After scheduling your surgery, you should look into finding a hotel, renting a car, and scheduling airline travel. Most patients fly into Fort Lauderdale International Airport, as this is closest to our office.
- Most patients arrive in town about a day or two before surgery. You will meet with Dr. Garramone in his office for your pre-operative appointment where he will discuss the surgery details with you. The surgery is usually done the next day. About one week after surgery, we have you follow up in the office for your post-operative visit. Your bandages will be removed and Dr. Garramone will teach you how to care for your chest over the next few weeks while it heals. At this time it should be okay for you to travel home.
Where Should You Stay? Making Travel Plans?
- Most patients fly into Fort Lauderdale International Airport, as this is closest to our office.
Transportation: If you need transportation from the airport to your hotel, many patients use Uber.com.
Traveling From Outside the U.S. & Canada?: If you are traveling from outside the United States & Canada, you are required to purchase a temporary cell phone with a U.S. based telephone number. These cell phones can be purchased online or in local stores for as little as $10, so they are very affordable. This U.S. based telephone number is necessary for our office, the hospital, and any transportation services to contact you if needed.
- We recommend staying at a local hotel. Most patients stay in town for about 6 to 8 days on average at a local hotel or with friends. We usually do not give recommendations for places to stay, as there are hundreds of options for you to stay during your visit here in South Florida. Many patients stay close to Ft. Lauderdale beach so they can enjoy our beautiful coastlines and beaches during their stay.
- Many patients use the rental site www.airbnb.com to find great deals on weekly rentals.
- Many of our patients stay at the Comfort Suites in Weston, Florida. The Comfort Suites in Weston offers our patients exclusive discounted rates that is not offered to the general public. You can get our special discount by visiting their website Comfort Suites Weston. We do not receive any reimbursement from the Comfort Suites and only refer you to them for your convenience.
- If you are traveling alone and require Nursing care after your surgery, we can help you arrange this for your surgery date. If you stay close to the surgery center, we can also arrange for the surgery center to pick you up for your surgery and return you to your hotel room safely. This way your transportation on the day of surgery is taken care of.
- Dr. Garramone requires all patients, for the first 24 hours, to have someone with them at all time. This can be a hired nurse, friend, or family member. You cannot be left alone during the first 24 hours, and if the person responsible to be with you during this time period is unable to fulfill this requirement, then you will need to hire a private Home Healthcare Agency to care for you. You must have direct “one on one” supervision by someone dedicated to only your care, not to the care of multiple people at the same time. This means this person must be in the same room as you for the first 24 hours continuously, and not leave you alone for any reason or any period of time.
- We do not recommend staying with someone you do not know, but in the event you do, do not assume they will provide adequate after surgery care and direct “one on one” monitoring of you. Do not assume any medical advice they give you is reliable, even if they claim to have professional experience. You will need to hire a Home Healthcare Agency even in these situations.
- If you are traveling alone or with someone who is unable to provide adequate Home Healthcare for you during your recovery, we can arrange for Professional Home Healthcare Agency to assist you.
- We can also arrange for transportation to and from the Hospital Surgical Center.
- Our office will only refer you to a verified Home Healthcare Staff Service operating with a business license in the State of Florida. These Home Healthcare Services operate under the guidelines of the State of Florida, and staff their own Professional Home Healthcare workers.
- Mostly, all of our patients stay in local Hotels of their choice, arrange for their own transportation without any difficulty, and if needed, will hire a Professional Home Healthcare Agency to assist them with their after surgery care. All of this at very affordable prices with a verified business in the State of Florida.
- If you ever suspect any organization or business or individual is misrepresenting themselves as an affiliate of our office, providing medical advice on behalf of our office, dissuading you from following Dr. Garramone’s medical instructions, if you believe someone has referred you to a suspicious business, or if you believe someone or another Doctors Office is giving you misinformation about our practice please email our Office Manager at email@example.com
***EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1ST, 2015***: We are requiring all Patients to have the completed Surgery Recommendation Form and Medical Clearance Form available below, prior to having surgery. This way we can standardize and keep better track of your medical records prior to surgery. Please have your therapist or physician fill out the Surgery Recommendation Form, and make sure you physician fills out the Medical Clearance Form. Note, all Medical Clearance Forms must be completed by an M.D. or D.O. physician only, as our Hospital will not accept medical clearance from other healthcare professionals such as a P.A., Nurse Practitioner, or Naturopathic Doctor.
- Surgery Recommendation Form (Required Form for recommendation of surgery)
- Medical Clearance Form (Required Form for medical clearance from your Primary Care Physician)
Below are a few downloadable PDF forms with some helpful information:
- Consent to speak with others about your Medical Care (HIPAA Release Consent)
- Pre-Operative Checklist
- Pre-Operative Instructions
- List of Medications to Avoid
- Directions to Our Office From Fort Lauderdale Intl Airport