Before Surgery Info
Before Your Surgery
Dr. Garramone performs the FTM Top Surgery® Procedure for patients who identify as transgender female to male, gender neutral, gender variant, lesbian, pangender. We just require a recommendation letter from your physician or therapist. You may find a link to a standardized form for recommendation at the bottom of this page.
Before scheduling a surgery with Dr. Garramone, there are several things that must be done. We have listed the steps below to help you organize and plan your surgery inquiry as follows:
- First, setup a complimentary no-cost phone consult for the FTM Top Surgery® Procedure with Dr. Garramone by contacting our office at (954)752-7842 or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Second, after you have setup your phone consult for the FTM Top Surgery® Procedure please email photos of your chest or body region to email@example.com. Send photos from the front of your body. Only send photos if you are over 18 years of age. Make sure your photo files sizes are less than 500kb.
- Third, Dr. Garramone will contact you by telephone on your scheduled appointment date (if you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, you are required to call us on your scheduled appointment date, we will not make international calls to you).
- Fourth, after your phone consultation, Dr. Garramone will discuss the treatment options that you are a candidate for with the FTM Top Surgery® Procedure. At this time he will let you speak with our office staff and you may schedule a surgical date.
- After scheduling your surgical date, our office will email you a pre-operative packet containing useful information and our Financial Policy. You are required to send back to us a signed copy of the Financial Policy and a copy of a Government issued Photo Identification or Passport. A Birth Certificate copies may be necessary.
- When you have scheduled your surgery with the $500 non-refundable deposit, we will then send you prescriptions for necessary lab work and medical clearance for surgery. You are required to have this done within 30 days of the date of your scheduled surgery.
- We will need a signed copy of the Letter of Recommendation for Transgender Surgery from your therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or Primary Care Physician. The letter must state “Transgender Surgery is the next step in the transition process.”
- Final payment is due three weeks prior to surgery. We accept all major credit cards, certain medical loan payments, or cash. We do not accept Personal Checks or medical insurance.
- After scheduling your surgery, you should look into finding a hotel, renting a car, and scheduling airline travel. Most patients fly into Fort Lauderdale International Airport, as this is closest to our office.
- Most patients arrive in town about a day or two before surgery. You will meet with Dr. Garramone in his office for your pre-operative appointment where he will discuss the surgery details with you. The surgery is usually done the next day. About one week after surgery, we have you follow up in the office for your post-operative visit. Your bandages will be removed and Dr. Garramone will teach you how to care for your chest over the next few weeks while it heals. At this time it should be okay for you to travel home.
- Most patients stay in town for about 6 to 8 days on average at a local hotel or with friends. We will not give recommendations for places to stay, as there are hundreds of options for you to stay during your visit here in South Florida. Please ask past patients or search internet recommendations for places to stay while recovering after your surgery with us, as this is usually the best way to find a place that is right for you. If you are traveling alone and require Nursing care after your surgery, we can help you arrange this for your surgery date. If you stay close to the surgery center, we can also arrange for the surgery center to pick you up for your surgery and return you to your hotel room safely. Never agree to pay money or to stay with someone you do not know. We want you to make safe choices for your lodging after surgery, and we do not want you to be taken advantage of by someone you do not know.
Below are a few downloadable PDF forms with some helpful information:
- Consent to speak with others about your Medical Care (HIPAA Release Consent)
- Surgery Recommendation Form (quick form letter of recommendation)
- Pre-Operative Checklist
- Pre-Operative Instructions
- List of Medications to Avoid
- Directions to Our Office From Fort Lauderdale Intl Airport